My list of favourite films often fluctuates, but it’s a list that I enjoy doing…
(as of 20/11/2018)
10. Shame (2011) – A bit of a depressing one, but so effecting, and masterfully directed by Steve Mcqueen, with an INSANE central performance.
9. My Night with Maud (1969) – I adore Eric Rohmer, and this is the most beautiful tale there is about love, and religion.
8. The Social Network (2010) – A film I can never tire of watching; Fincher giving an absolute masterclass in telling a story. Another cool film that gives me chills in almost every scene.
7. Ruby Sparks (2012) – Stunning film about writing and relationships. It speaks to me.
6. An American Werewolf in London (1981) – Quite simply the most fun that can be had watching a film.
5. There Will be Blood (2007) – A master work of art from Paul Thomas Anderson with two era-dominating performances from Paul Dano and Daniel Day-Lewis.
4. Seven (1995) – I have seen this film several times, but it’s still a mystery to me. The most alluring film of all time.
3. The Exorcist (1973) – I find this film so deeply moving, and it is perfect in every way. William Friedkin is a hero.
2. The Godfather (1972) – Possibly literally the greatest film of all time and every time it’s finished I have to take a few moments of awe-inspired silence.
1. Frances Ha (2012) – I had a strong affection for this movie as soon as it begun. Such lovely film-making, that is both melancholic and heartwarming.